I know it’s been a while since I posted anything here. This hasn’t been the easiest year for me. Den and I spent last week at the beach (the Outer Banks, in North Carolina), and it was a very relaxing escape. It also gave me a chance to think about where things stand with this publishing venture of mine. Did I make the right decision to self-publish Erin, or should I have kept on with the agent search in hopes of a contract with a “real” publisher?
Here’s what I concluded:
1) I love having copies of my books on my bookshelf! I love holding them, seeing my words in print, and seeing the reaction of friends and family to the stories I’ve written. It’s been a wonderful experience.
2) Two Erin readers have let me know that their book clubs will be discussing my book at one of their upcoming meetings! That’s hugely exciting and very affirming for any self-published writer.
3) More than a few Erin readers have asked me when my next book will be available for sale. That’s exciting on several levels, and I’m hoping to release Beautiful Lies early next month.
4) The marketing and publicizing aspects of this process still confound me, but I’m trying to focus on the things that are really important to me – and the number one thing on that list is the writing itself. I’m actively working now on a new novel – it’s in the very early stages, and I’m not sure yet that it’s a keeper, but I’m having fun with it. And that’s a big thing!
5) I’ve been very encouraged by the very positive feedback I’ve received about Erin. I expected family and friends to be supportive (and they have!), but I didn’t expect to get emails from people I’ve never met, people who told me how much they enjoyed the book. It feels good, even if Erin will never be a “best seller.”
Bottom line, yes – I did the right thing! It’s September now, and Erin has been on sale through Amazon for over three months. The book and I will be featured this week on Pandora’s Books, I’m getting Beautiful Lies ready for publication, and I’m working on a new novel. It’s going well.
I’ll try to do a better job keeping this website up-to-date. And I’ll keep sharing news about what’s happening – with the books, and with me. More to come . . .